While storm runoff and erosion are natural processes, they are often concentrated or exacerbated by the changes we make to the land to accommodate production, access, structures, or other purposes.
Private landowners, government agencies, and non-profit organizations can contract with the RCD to provide erosion control planning services for a wide variety of projects.
Our services include:
- Site visit and assessment of risks of erosion or problem areas and opportunities given slope, soil type, hydrology, rainfall, and activities on-site, upstream and downstream of the site
- Recommendations for potential practices to resolve or limit erosion impacts or improve overall site condition enabling soil to be held on-site or keep runoff and sediment losses to natural levels
- Preparation of Erosion Control Plans documenting problems and solution to fields
RCD has provided erosion control planning services for a wide variety of projects:
- For Santa Rita Creek watershed landowners, in partnership with Monterey Bay Sanctuary Foundation and Central Coast Wetlands Group (funding from CA Dept. of Water Resources through IWRP program)
- Various projects for Monterey County Agricultural Commissioner
We are currently offering the following erosion control trainings and workshops:
- Erosion Prevention and Control Presentation at the Monterey County Agricultural Commissioner Ag Expo
Contact Laura Murphy, RCD Soil Scientist, for more information.